‘Tis the season for Buttery Christmas cookies.
Christmas cookies are a wonderful way to share your own Christmas traditions with friends and family throughout the holiday season. They are loved by everyone!
Here is my personal recipe. Let me know what you guys think !
- Prep Time : 1 hour
- Cook Time : 10 minutes
- Chilling Time : 2 hours
- Total Time : 1 hour 10 minutes
- Combine butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer (or in a large bowl and use an electric hand mixer) and beat until creamy and well-combined.
- Add egg and vanilla extract, nutmeg, rum and cinnamon, then beat until completely combined.
- In a separate, medium-sized bowl, whisk together flour, and baking powder.
- Gradually add dry ingredients into the wet mix until completely combined.
- Lay out a large piece of plastic wrap and transfer approximately half of the dough onto the wrap (dough will be quite sticky at this point, that’s OK!).
- Cover with clear wrap and mold into a disk. Repeat with remaining cookie dough in another piece of cling wrap. Transfer dough to refrigerator and chill for at least 2-3 hours3
- Once dough has finished chilling, preheat oven to 350F (175C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Generously dust a clean surface with flour and deposit one chilled cookie dough disk onto the surface. Lightly flour the dough and roll out to 1/8″ (for thinner, crispier cookies) or 1/4″ (for thicker, softer cookies). Continue to add flour as needed both on top of and beneath the dough so that it doesn’t stick.
- Use cookie cutters to cut out shapes and use a spatula to transfer shapes to prepared baking sheet.4
- Bake on 350F (175C) for 9-10 minutes5, or until edges justbegin to turn lightly golden brown.
- Allow cookies to cool completely on cookie sheet before moving and frosting.
If you like icing you could also try icing them when cool, or simply sprinkle them with colored sugar before baking.